Monday 6 August 2012

A Work Remembering Hiroshima

Hibakusha/Survivor - Indian Ink Painting 2010

There is an earlier, one-off drypoint version of this composition. I did a lot of post-print painting on it, and was really proud of the finished piece. I made the background a deep blood-red, it had the Genbaku Dome (the Hiroshima Peace Memorial) and a bare tree, faintly in the background. Enola Gay, the plane that dropped the bomb, is fleeing the scene, and I embossed a circle in the centre referencing the Japanese flag. Another embossing of a 1945 NZ coin at the bottom acknowledged the aid given by the NZ J-Force, post war. I wasn't expecting the original to sell, so didn't bother to take photos. Alas, it sold. I missed it, so I made this! 

Moral of the story: Take photos!


No comments:

Post a Comment